Monday, January 14, 2008

Of Cucumbers and Sneakers

I never thought that I would utter both words in the same breath, and yet, here I go. I was going for a run today during my lunch break. I was about to put on my sneakers when I discovered that one of them was home to a pair of Maddy's socks and half a bite of cucumber. I smiled.

The story goes that I went for a run yesterday afternoon. I left my shoes out by the front door so that they could air out a bit. Later on, I was feeding Maddy some of her favorite snack: cucumbers and ranch dressing. Like many cultured individuals, she didn't take long to realize that the ranch is where it's at. Screw the veg. She's picked up the bad habit of sucking the ranch from the cucumber and spewing the remnants. (Probably something she learned from her mother.) I guess some cucumber remnants found my sneakers.

The socks come from a different story. In the evening Mary had put on Maddy a little pair of white socks with pink toes. (They're cute socks.) However, the socks are rather slippery on the kitchen floor. After a few wipe-outs in the kitchen, and because they kept falling off, I guess Madge decided to remove them. I'm proud to say she put the socks in their rightful place. Only, in my shoes instead of hers.