Monday, May 6, 2013

Fun While Tailgating

A few weeks back, Mares introduced the kids to a great American pastime: tailgating. They took their first tailgate picnic at the lake near our house. Needless to say, the kids loved it! That was the highlight they recounted to me at the end of the day. We've been tailgating a few times since then.

A few blocks from our house is this restaurant resort area, called in Portuguese "The Big Point." It has lots of restaurants on the water and some green areas and some parks. We packed a picnic lunch, went to fly the kite, and snapped some great pics of the kids. In the midst of the picnic lunch (which we had in the generous space of our Suburban trunk), I also threw out a picnic blanket and set Penny on the blanket for her to roll around. I also placed our picnic basket down on the blanket. Since this is Brazil (you have to live here to understand :)), I proceeded to open a bottle of wine for Mary and I. A few minutes later, a security guard came by. I got a little nervous. He asked us if we were aware of the regulations at The Big Point. I told him no. He said that picnics were not allowed. I asked him what that meant. He said that it meant no blanket on the ground. In other words, no problem with the wine (now sitting open in a cup holder), or with the tailgating...just with the picnic blanket since that violated the rules. I smiled and complied. Mares and I gave a little chink-chink with our wine and we enjoyed our picnic lunch hanging from the truck of our car. Gotta love it.










Our little park infractor!