Monday, August 27, 2007

Becoming Like a Child

I remember when I first heard a mom who ran a girls club explain the difference between childish vs. childlike, and I never forgot the difference. Had I forgotten what childlike means, Maddy has clarified that for me. Today the lessons continue in how to be childlike in my relationship with Jesus. Maddy is my teacher and I am her student everyday. She never ceases to amaze me in her innocence, trust, dependence, willingness to explore, beautiful curiosity, use of every second of every day, love for me and Caleb as her parents, and her obedience, and sponge-like ways of gathering more and more knowledge. Over the past few weeks she has just blossomed in physical and emotional milestones. She now has a trot/run down vs. just "the walk." She now responds very obediently to the word "gentle" (which we taught her when she picks up books or sets her sippy cup down on our dining table---just a couple of examples). She hears, "Go get your book," and brings two back from her book basket in front of our fireplace. She now stacks blocks and she loops donut rings on her Fisher Price ring holder. Better yet, she looks to the crucifix hanging next to the front door when she hears us ask, "Where's Jesus?" and either reaches for Christ to be brought off the wall and kissed by her sweet O-shaped mouth that hums simultaneously in excited anticipation of the kiss or will reached out with her hand wide open. Today we were at Mass and as I genuflected upon exiting the church, Maddy blew Jesus a kiss. She stared up to the altar and just stood there looking up towards Jesus' little gold home, as if to say,"I'll talk to you later. I love you, and enjoy your day. I know I will." There are so many parallels between a child and her parent and a human being with God. I love the simplicity and beauty of this parallel that God has given to us. When I see Maddy stretch out her hand to Caleb or me when she has fallen, I ask myself how often I have looked to God for help and guidance in my day and in my life. Have I utilized His grace, which is so freely given? Or, I am quickly reminded of how curious I should be about my faith, about God Himself when I look at Maddy, whom we have named "Curious Madge" in our house. She never wants to stop; I should be the same way. What a beautiful gift a child is. Everything about children is pure, innocent, and real. I thank God for the midget teacher in our house, because without her I do not think I would be really learning what it means to be childlike, not childish.