Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Co-Sleeping

The possibility of co-sleeping is one of the many benefits that a king-sized bed provides. Mary and I decided to give co-sleeping a try when we first had Maddy. It seems to be conducive to breastfeeding mothers and provides an array of other perks (see below for an example). The attachment parenting crowds advocate the practice. Even the NYTimes recently ran an article on co-sleeping. Part of me would love to see the practice increase in the U.S. and around the world. Part of me doesn't want it to become mainstream because I make it a habit and goal to avoid the mainstream. (If you feel like reading a myriad articles on the pros and cons of co-sleeping, you can google it to your heart's content.)

This morning I got an extra special dose of co-sleeping love. I normally start my day at 5:15am. Given such an early rise, I don't see Mary or Maddy until I return home from work in the afternoon. Every now and again one of them will be up to kiss me good-bye. Around 5am I felt something moving next to me. I opened my eyes to discover that Maddy had wrapped her little arms around my neck and had laid her head on my face. The sweet scent of baby shampoo still lingered in her hair from last night's bath. She lie next to me for a few minutes, resting her face on mine. She then climbed up on my chest and rested up there for a few minutes. The alarm clock hearkened the harsh reality of having to leave such a surreal reverie. I would never enjoy such moments if she were in her crib. Thank God for co-sleeping. These experiences leave an indelible mark on the heart of a dad; they create memories that will last a lifetime.