Wednesday, February 13, 2008

A Story for the Grandkids: The Long Commute

I love the Washington DC Metro Area...except for the traffic. Typically my apartment commuter shuttle ride is from 30 to 45 minutes. Last night, that same ride took 5.5 hours. Crazy, right? 5.5 hours in the shuttle bus. Icy roads and accidents basically shut down the freeways. Fortunately, I had a new book: I almost finished the 400 page read. We were moving so slowly that at various points along the way, passengers went to McDonalds and Dunkin Donuts for bathroom breaks and food. They didn't need to worry about the shuttle leaving them behind. We hadn't moved.

The silver lining? I'll have a great story for my grandkids one day. (Madge and Mary both stayed awake and held off dinner till 9:30. We enjoyed a few minutes together before bed. The next thing I know is that I'm back on the shuttle heading to work. Again.)