Thursday, July 17, 2008

Happy Birthday, Madge!

Today my little girl turns two. It's incredible. One day she's a wee, swaddled babe lying my in my arms; the next, she's running through our home and jumping up on me. Happy Birthday, Madeleine!

One of the positive externalities of a newborn on siblings is special time with dad. I can say that my two weeks of paternity leave presented a great opportunity to bond with Madge. We did everything together and I enjoyed every minute of it. My favorite Madge memory took place the night of July 2. For as long as I can remember, whenever Maddy would wake up in the middle of the night, she would instinctively call for "mom". (In my defense, I suppose moms can typically provide something dads can't.) Anyhow, since Mary was still at the hospital that night, I was at home alone with Maddy. Madge woke up and started calling for me. "Daddy!" Tears welled up as I rocked my little girl back to sleep.

I'm now the proud dad to both Madge and Pita. I look forward to many experiences (and subsequently, forging memories) with Pita. Right now, however, I want to celebrate and recognize Maddy's two years of life, along with the joy and love that she has brought to us. Thank you, God, for the gift of Madge. I hope that we can be the best parents possible for her. Maddy, we love you. Happy Birthday.