Friday, March 20, 2009

"Opting-out Revolution" and Family Choices

An article today from the NYTimes commences: With men losing jobs in massive numbers, stay-at-home moms heading back into the workforce and part-time working mothers increasing their hours, feminists are cheering women’s sudden rediscovery of self-sufficiency.

Countless people at work tell me that I am lucky that Mary is staying at home to mother our children. Luck has little to do with it! I do believe that I am extremely lucky to have Mary. I also appreciate that Mary and I share the same values (but we didn't leave that element to luck). A feminist believing every woman should work is akin to a person believing every woman should stay at home. Whether a woman decides to work is a choice. Some choices are right and some wrong. Some choices make sense and some don't. Some choices are made with a free hand and some under duress. I believe that what's important is that (1) each woman can and should make her own decision, and (2) each decision is a choice.

Thank you, Mary, for choosing to stay home with our girls. I go to work everyday happy. I am happy that I can provide for you. I am happy that you have decided to stay home with Madge and Pita--and do such a fabulous job raising them! I am happy that you enjoy staying at home with the girls. I love you.