Friday, July 8, 2011

Rainbows

"Mom, Um-eeer" Pita calls out to me as she anxiously awaits my climb to the top of the steps. She has a beautiful rainbow to show me. It is the light shining through our front door window, that has some prism-like glass, at its top. Beautiful. Simple. Simply beautiful. This reminds me of life. There are constantly moments to recognize in each and every day that say "He is near," and yet it is so easy to flutter from task-to-task without ever stopping to say, "Look! Look at this beauty." Sometimes I feel so overwhelmed by the many things that come to mind during the day that I want to record, savor, share, learn from, and shout out, because they are truly glorious moments. They really are my rainbows. They are my children's faces, lit candles, a fresh bouquet of flowers, a kind conversation, a gentle reminder, a sweet hug, a quickly absorbed and wonderfully refreshing, "I love you," a deep conversation with my husband, a moment with my family, a rejuvenated relationship with dear friends, the sweet hope of Him that says "Come, and follow me," a yummy cup of coffee, morning prayer, Mass, memories that are sweet, times that were difficult yet outlined with silver from which rainbows and sunshine have broken through, each and every day of married love, a new baby, awesome school lessons, teaching moments that bring forth true character, clean sheets, a hot shower, renewing and recommitting to my marital vows and, realigning my will to God's in my vocation as a mom, speaking with family and friends, being inspired by wholesome people, books and ways of life, educating and being educated daily, praying the Rosary, a solid run, compassion, humility, Confession, overflowing baskets of library books, a hot cup of peppermint tea, a full red wine, and many, many more.

Rainbows.

The other day I was listening to Madge recount the Bible story of the Great Flood in Noah's time, and she said, "And Jesus said, 'I will never do anything like this to you again,"-- His promise to us through the sign of the rainbow. It is true, so true, that He will never send anything that will over take us, hidden or in-the-open, because He has conquered all things. I believe that is why I love the passage in 1 Corinthians 10:13 that says: "No trial has come to you but what is human. God is faithful and will not let you be tried beyond your strength; but with the trial he will also provide a way out, so that you may be able to bear it."

Recently, I was reading from one of my favorite journals, Soul Gardening, which is written ordinary wives and moms reaching for the good in each day through her vocation and responsibility as wife and as mom. Sanctifying the present moment, through, as one priest told me, "the sacrament of the present moment." One of the writers wrote a whole article on her "rainbows" and how, she believes, (and I agree) that God gives us rainbows, or, little moments throughout our lives and days that refresh us just by recalling them. These are little gifts of hope, because as we all know, life is filled with suffering. It is a part of life. Everyone suffers. However, there is hope in it all. There can be faith in it all, if we simply take off our lenses of fear and embrace it all with hope in Him, while recalling the sweet, tiny moments, the rainbows, which God gives us to show us that He is in control, and good is abounding. St. Paul says it so beautifully when he speaks of sin and grace, and how when there is great sin, grace abounds all the more. So, when there is much rain in our lives, light will come, even in the smallest recesses of our days, and then, together, rainbows are orchestrated: in quiet, little moments.


Some of My Rainbows: