Wednesday, May 6, 2009

The Little Things of Everyday

Dear Madge and Pita,

The two of you are growing by leaps and bounds everyday. The nuance of spending so much time with you is that the gradual changes are seamless, indeed sometimes unnoticeable. Nevertheless, whenever I am able to take a step back, I marvel at all the little changes I see in you.

Madge:
  1. This morning as I was leaving for work, you used the idiom "all of a sudden" a few times in our dialogue. It was priceless to hear you use that phrase so expertly. (I think you became cognizant of how proud I was of you--you gave me that cheeky, gleeful smile!)
  2. Mom told me last night that during the day you were using complex sentence structures. Not just "if"..."then", but with multiple scenarios played out, depending on the circumstances. I laughed as she said that you were now really a little diplomat.
  3. Over the past week, you have been really cute in using your words to express yourself. Your vocabulary is expansive. Yet, you forget sometimes the word for certain things. When that happens, you say: What is the name for that? As you say this, you're pointing to some object or else you will describe it. "Mom, what's the name for that little, red berry...oh, yeah, cranberry."
Pita:
  1. You took your first steps last week. It was adorable how you would walk to Mom or me. A couple days ago, you started to take steps all on your own...towards one of your toys! So neat to see you using your new skills. Sorry, no numchuck, bowhunting, or computer hacking skills for you yet.
  2. You also enjoy crawling over to Mom and me to use us to stand up. Then you walk around holding onto our pants or skirt. Adorable.
  3. A couple days ago, I was teaching Madge how to hold your hand to help you walk. It was really cute to see the two of you walking around the house holding hands, all by yourselves. Madge is such a good sister to you as she let you "lead the dance."
  4. Finally, you are already a multi-tasker. You enjoy pushing objects as you crawl around the house. However, you don't just push one object. The other day I saw you pushing two balls and a doll and a toy. You would roll one ball a few feet forward, then another, then grab a toy, and then the doll. You made laps around the house, bringing all the objects with you each step of the way. Classic, Babe. Classic.
So proud of my girlies. My love for you grows each day. Thanks for giving me the joy of being your dad. Keep up all the good work.

Love,
Dad