Tuesday, July 7, 2009

A Silly Little Girl--old picture (03/2008), new stories

At the pool over the weekend: Mary and I were talking about whether we should stay longer at the pool or return home. In a phrase she probably picked up from us, Madge asked Mary, "Mom, what are your thoughts?" Good use of words, my little diplomat.

After Mass on Sunday: at the conclusion of Mass, I typically take Madge up to the front of the Church to pray on the side of the altar. Normally, we pray out loud together (in a hushed voice) and I try to use the opportunity to teach her how to pray. I pray, and then Maddy repeats after me. I was saying, "God, help me to be a good girl, and to listen to my Mom and my Dad." (This is a staple prayer.) Maddy repeated a slightly different version: "God help me to be a good girl, and help Mom and Dad to give me ice-cream." Just a minor variation.

After grace at dinner last night: Mary took a moment after Madgey rapidly made the sign of the cross to refresh her on how it's done. She was explaining to her how you move from the head to the heart, to the left shoulder and then to the right. With all these body parts, Madge replied, "And can we do 'head, shoulders, knees and toes,' too?" We tried to suppress our laughter!