Thursday, April 22, 2010

Happy Birthday, Dad, and Happy Earth Day

Happy Birthday, Papá! We rejoice with you and the rest of our family and friends to celebrate your birth, to celebrate your life, to celebrate the many ways God has used you as an instrument in the lives of all those around you. I consider myself truly blessed to have you as my father, my mentor, my best friend, my best man, grandfather and godfather to my children. Since I know you, I never will have to wonder what it's like to live in the midst a saint.

Host unlimited photos at slide.com for FREE!


We've had so many wonderful times together over the course of my life and, in particular, over the last year. With each passing year I can say that my appreciation for you only grows more. I hope that you have a wonderful birthday, full of blessings, love, and good food. (He, he, he.)

My dad's one weakness, however, ties us to the other festivity celebrated in the green sphere: Earth Day. My dad loves to recycle. I like to joke with him that he'll be buried in a recycled coffin, with overdue library books scattered around him (the plight of every dad whose children frequent the library), and flower bouquets in crock pots (another of his passions). But seriously, he loves to recycle. So, it is apropos that Earth Day coincide with his birthday. I always give him a hard time about recycling, since I am a hardcore believer in not recycling. So, we make a good combo. (In one of our games, I remove items from the recycling bin to the trash bin to see if he'll find it and put it back.) He's ever a good sport about it and I have no doubt that he'll one day see the light.

Anyway, Happy Birthday, Dad! And, Happy Earth Day.