Friday, July 2, 2010

Happy Wooden Anniversary!

To my beautiful and wonderful bride of 5 years: Happy Anniversary! Can you believe it that five years ago today we made our vows to one another? I still remember like yesterday how smitten I was as I watched in awe as you walked down the aisle of the church. You were almost as gorgeous then as you are now! (Your beauty, like a fine wine, grows more refined and exquisite with the passage of time.) Since then, we've traveled and lived around the world together (a few times!), we have three children (well, 2.978 kids to be exact), we have our first home, we've experienced together so many of life's joys and sorrows. My only regrets are not being able to love you 25 hours each day and those moments when I let my emotions get the better of me in our conversations. We have shared so much together already, and yet, this is only the beginning! Growing old together sounds like so much fun, you old cougar of a wife! Hopefully, we'll have another 60 years of marriage before God calls us to himself. Thanks for all your love and patience over the years. Thanks for staying true and faithful. Thanks for carrying me when it was necessary. Thanks for being my rock and my support. "My better half" is so hackneyed, but I can't think of a more appropriate phrase!

According to Wikipedia, wood is the traditional gift for the fifth wedding anniversary. Here's my favorite wooden joke for you, one you know too well!
A shy teenage boy with a wooden eye is attending his high school prom. He finally musters up the courage to ask a girl if she would like to dance. The girl happens to have a hair-lip. She, full of wonder and joy at being asked to dance, blurts out, "would I, oh, would I!" [You have to say this out loud in your head.] He retorts angrily: "Hair-lip! Hair-lip!"
Oh well, Happy Wooden Anniversary! I hope you don't get any splinters today! I look forward to our date evening out tonight! Get ready, Beautiful!

Yes, we still look teenagers (with that puppy-love look in our eyes)...too bad we didn't meet till we were in our twenties.