Thursday, August 19, 2010

NYT Article: Deciding to Homeschool

The NYT Article Deciding to Homeschool offers some reasons why one mom has opted for the homeschooling path. Nice to see that the NYT would actually treat the topic rather decently. The reasons that the mother gives for homeschooling focus more on the parental experience than on the child's, but they're great reasons nonetheless.
I want to be a part of learning with him. I want to have the time and space in our days together to figure out how to connect with my growing boy. I want the temporal freedom to follow his amazing, mischievous, imaginative, whip-smart little mind around and see where the heck it takes us.

I have no rosy illusions. I am sure there will be still be elements of the cattle prod. I imagine we will be amazed at how fast time gets away from us in a day of discovery. I have no doubt that we will all get on each other’s nerves a little with this new “togetherness.”

But I am just as sure this will be miles better than the way things are now. Because I don’t want to go another day in which I realize, after his eyes have closed in sleep, all day long I haven’t actually looked, really looked, into my son’s eyes.

In a word, I believe that our children are our greatest assets and greatest joys. We continually work to treasure them as such! (Nota Bene: I recognize that, due to a variety of factors, homeschooling may not be for everyone.)