Wednesday, February 16, 2011

S.I.M.P.L.I.C.I.T.Y.

This month our virtue to work at is SIMPLICITY. I went in to the Modern Catholic Dictionary by Fr. John Hardon to read over this word that describes something so simple and yet something that can be made so complex when we put it into daily action (or try!) and pull ourselves from the things, tasks, extras that take us away from Him, and from our families.

In defining simplicity, Father Hardon wrote: "As a character trait, the quality of not being affected; therefore, unassuming and unpretentious. A simple person is sincere, honest, and straightforward. Simplicity is single-mindedness. As a supernatural virtue, it seeks only to do the will of God without regard to self-sacrifice or self-advantage." (Modern Catholic Dictionary, p. 506)
As I try and focus my day on a prayer, a thought, and an action, I try and read one of my wonderful sources of daily goodness. This simple book is a wonderful help so that I can be a better wife and mom and take these small steps. In doing so, my heart is calmed more and more. For, our kingdom, our domestic church is continually being built up by the souls that live within it.

They are my duty. They are my vocation. I pray that I will always follow God's call, with little steps, and follow the foot steps of a 4 year old, 2 year old, and 6 month-old, who all lead me to Him, on this journey of motherhood and in marriage. (Elizabeth Foss wrote a wonderful article on "Simplicity.") Just when it is easy to say that one person has it "harder" or "easier" than another, it is good to take a step back, and realize that each person has the path unique unto himself as God allows.