Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Food and Heaven

All our kids are good, little healthy eaters. They eat almost everything put before them, including the sometimes-different Brazilian fruits and vegetables.

Our little Guadalupe, Pita, however, is our food-lover; sometimes it seems like she has a bottomless pit for a stomach as she snacks at all hours of the day. (Fortunately, Mares does a stellar job of keeping a steady supply of health snacks at their little finger tips all day long.)

It was 6:03am this morning, I was brewing coffee and heating some water for tea, as Madge and Pita joined me in the kitchen. They had frazzled bed-heads and sleepy eyes but their minds were racing, as they always are. Pita remarked (I'm not sure why) that she didn't want to die. I told her that death is okay since that is how we get to be with Jesus in heaven. And that's why we don't have to be afraid of death. She elaborated that she didn't want to die because Madge had told her that there would be no food in heaven. Madge chimed in, "Isn't that right, Dad, because we'll just be souls and we won't eat food?" I nodded my head. Then Pita moaned, "But I love food. So I don't want to die and go to heaven where I won't have food." While I am not sure of the specifics in the afterlife (and metaphysical argumentation can only get you so far), I consoled her that heaven will have everything that makes her the most happy. She smiled, "I love food." And that she does.