Monday, March 26, 2012

Roman Numerals and Microwaves

So many fun stories from the morning. Yet another from 6am this morning.

I was making coffee and Madge was helping out. She was heating up the cream for the coffee in the microwave. She asked me what buttons she need to push to turn the microwave on. I gave her the directions. She was thinking a moment, and then she stated matter-of-factually: [the microwave] "should have Roman numerals instead of these ones [conventional numbers]. That way I can learn right here when I use the microwave." This brought a smile to my face as I tried to imagine a microwave with Roman numerals...a little retro, nowtro action. (A quip from Mighty Wind.)


Madge has been learning all the Roman numerals in school--she has learned all the Stations of the Cross during Lent, and the accompanying Roman numerals. It's been really wonderful to observe. Throughout Lent, we have been doing the Stations of the Cross as a family. Madge gets so excited to do them, "Mom and Dad, I love doing the Stations of the Cross." Mares has done an incredible job of integrating many subjects into a Stations of the Cross learning module. For handwriting and spelling, Madge has written out each of the stations. (My personal favorite is when she reads from her handwriting book, "Jesus meets his afflicted mother." When she reads the word afflicted it's like she knows it's a big and sophisticated word.) She covers religion as they discuss the events in each of the stations. On top of it all, she has learned her Roman numerals! Now if only they made microwaves with Roman numerals...