Tuesday, September 8, 2009

I Love Every Little Thing

As we went packing-crazy over the weekend, I had a lot of time to think about the little things. 900+ square feet of bubble wrap now covers our prize possessions. Throughout this wrapping frenzy, I was reminiscing on the simplicity of being single. I could fit my entire life into 2 (maybe 3) suitcases. Wow. Wouldn't that make for easy packing! Five years later I am married with two children. The baggage grows exponentially by the day. However, after wrapping a few dozen little objects, I soon realized that each thing we have tells a story. The tacky hot stone from celebrating Mother's Day at a Pizza Hut in Beijing. The gorgeous art work from Maddy. The cute, crystal cherry glasses. Every little thing holds some emotional meaning and, in a way, tethers us together as a family. While it's always great to downsize and simplify, there is something beautiful about objects serving as memories of times together and joys we have shared. I found myself thanking God for the little things. There is not a single thing that I want to get rid of, since they all bring me closer to my family, which brings me closer to God. Now, if only we can finish with the last 100 square feet of bubble wrap....

http://uschina.usc.edu/App_Images//Pizza%20Hut%20Resize.jpg