Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Butterflies

A few stories of Madge and butterflies.

A couple weeks ago, Madge asked me: "Dad, what should I be when I grow up?"

I replied: "Madge, that's a good question. It's important to think and pray about that as you get older."

She thought for a moment and then said: "Maybe I'll become a nurse like Auntie Mimi, or maybe a doctor, or a butterfly." I was impressed by the maturity of the conversation, but then the butterfly comment brought me back to the reality of a 3-year old. I love you, Madge! There's so much for you to do in life. I hope that Mom and I can give you the inspiration and support you need to achieve all that you desire in life. (Hopefully, sanctity will top that list and butterfly will be further down.)

Last night after dinner, we were getting dressed for going to the funeral home to pray for the soul of Mr. Ruiz (may he rest in peace), a dear old gentleman and friend from our parish who passed away last week. Madge was reticent to get dressed. I reminded her that she is the child and that Mares and I are her parents. And, I told her that children have to be good listeners for their parents. She started to cry--but it wasn't because she didn't want to listen or get dressed. "I don't want to be a child," she wailed. "I want to be a butterfly." (Afterwords, I told Mares that I would have to tailor my message to "Good little butterflies always listen to their parents.")

Finally, butterflies came up again when we were leaving the funeral home. The visit became a nice opportunity to discuss in simple terms the issues of life and death. Madge was curious why Mr. Ruiz didn't move in the coffin. We explained that he was dead, that his body was still here but that his soul had moved on to the next life. When I told her that all of us die, just as all of us are born at one time. She replied: "I don't want to die. I want to become a butterfly."

I think we have to thank The Very Hungry Caterpillar of Eric Carle and Hermie and Friends for her fascination with butterflies.