Friday, June 19, 2009

A Father's Day Poem for All You Fathers Out There

My boss just dropped off a copy of the below poem, as an ode Father's Day. While we currently don't have any boys, the sentiments such wonderful scenarios conjure are the same even with little girls. Being a dad is one of the greatest joys in a life. I thank God for this gift (and the grace not to botch up my job too poorly!). I opine that mornings are truly the best moments to spend with kids. Some of my best memories are in the morning bed or sipping coffee on the living room couch, observing the shenanigans all around. Here's, then, to all fathers:

This Morning in a Morning Voice

by Todd Boss

to beat the froggiest
of morning voices,
my son gets out of bed
and takes a lumpish song
along—a little lyric
learned in kindergarten,
something about a
boat. He’s found it in
the bog of his throat
before his feet have hit
the ground, follows
its wonky melody down
the hall and into the loo
as if it were the most
natural thing for a little
boy to do, and lets it
loose awhile in there
to a tinkling sound while
I lie still in bed, alive
like I’ve never been, in
love again with life,
afraid they’ll find me
drowned here, drowned
in more than my fair
share of joy.