Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Look, Dad. No hands!

Yesterday evening, Madge and I were playing soccer in the hallway. "Soccer" for us means kicking the ball back and forth. A goal occurs when the ball makes it past one of us. Maddy has been making great progress in her kicking abilities. However, she has the habit of stopping the ball with her hands--hey, it must be easier that way, right? After she stops it with her hands, she sets it up for her next kick. Anyhow, I was trying to teach her last night that in soccer we don't use our hands. I demonstrated how one can stop the ball and position it with just one's feet.

She tried using only her feet only to stop the ball for a half-dozen times. I could see she was getting a bit frustrated and that she was thinking. The next time I kicked the ball to her, she stopped the ball by grabbing it between her fists. The next time, she scooped it up with her elbows. "Look, Dad. No hands!" No hands, indeed!

I love you, Madgey, and I love being your dad and spending time together.