Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Whence Thy Patience, Darling?

Maybe it's a sex thing. Perhaps, at least a component of it. Temperament surely has something to do with it. Undoubtedly, however, it primarily comes from lots of practice and strict discipline. No matter whence it comes, Mary's patience outshines mine as the sun does the moon.

Last night was one of those nights. For whatever reason, our sweet little Madge didn't want to lay down her curly locks on the pillow. She must have come out of the bedroom a dozen or more times between 7:30 and 9:00pm. (We were actually trying to watch a great movie about St. Rita--available via Netflix) Mary and I would alternate between the two of us the task of putting her back in bed. I typically don't raise my voice and we try to steer clear of physical discipline, but it was one of those occasions that tested my resolve. Every parent must take tests of patience while raising children: ultimately, some people pass and some people fail. It can be really hard! I also realize that exclusively-mothering women must undergo many, many more patience tests than their working husbands. I don't know how Mares does it. She keeps up a patience like none other! I suppose I can modify Jesus' prayer from "Father, may they be perfect as you are perfect" to "God, may I be patient as my wife is patient." Thanks for your example and commitment, Mares. I love you.