Friday, November 13, 2009

Heaven is Having You


When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou hast taught me to say,
It is well, it is well with my soul.

(Refrain:) It is well (it is well),
with my soul (with my soul),
It is well, it is well with my soul.

Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come,
Let this blest assurance control,
That Christ hath regarded my helpless estate,
And hath shed His own blood for my soul.
(Refrain)

My sin, oh the bliss of this glorious thought!
My sin, not in part but the whole,
Is nailed to His cross, and I bear it no more,
Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!
(Refrain)

For me, be it Christ, be it Christ hence to live:
If Jordan above me shall roll,
No pain shall be mine, for in death as in life
Thou wilt whisper Thy peace to my soul.
(Refrain)

And Lord haste the day, when my faith shall be sight,
The clouds be rolled back as a scroll;
The trump shall resound, and the Lord shall descend,
Even so, it is well with my soul.
(Refrain)

Dear Madge,
It was All Saints' night, and as I placed you in your bed I told you that Jesus would be so proud of you. Soon after that comment, you and I had a long chat about heaven. I had run downstairs to get you some ice for your water. When I came back up you were in tears and were trying to tell me that you were calling for me, but I didn't answer (since I was downstairs.) You then went on to say:

"Mom, I was trying to tell you that at church today I told Dad that I am going to Heaven.
I am going to fly to Heaven, and I am going to leave you. I will ask Jesus if He has any little crosses to carry. First I'll be five." As I sat there, mesmerized at how cohesive your thoughts were, I stared at your little eyes that seemed to reassure me that all was well and that you really were excited to go to Heaven. Madge, I was just lost in your gaze, your sweet and peaceful eyes. As my eyes began to tear up, you showed me how you would fly to heaven. You said, "Mom, I'll wear my skirt and my wings." Then, you began to run around your room as is you were flying to heaven. You even showed me how I can get to heave by moving my hands. (A few weeks before you told me that I could borrow your wings so that I could make it there.) But, you told me that you will come back, you said, "Mom, I'll come back." I said, "Here?" You said, "Yes, here." I said, "Madge, you have to pray for me when you go there." You then asked, "So you don't fall, Mom?" "Yes," I responded, "so I don't fall." Your eyes welled with tears. You told me that you would miss me when you left, and then you said, "Mom, you have to help me and give me a little lift." I said, "I will give you a little boost." You asked, "What's a boost?" You told me that you would get on a plane, a little plane, because Jesus will be a little baby, so tiny. You said that you were going to give Jesus a big hug and showed me how He would smile. At the end of our conversation you began pointing to various spots in your room where Jesus is.You are so right, Madge; He is there, here, and everywhere. How often I miss Him in the most basic of spots, because I am looking too hard when He is right before me in your eyes, in Daddy's, and Pita's, in the crosses of life, in the happy and difficult times. I love you, Sweet Girl. I have no doubt that God has big plans for you, His beloved daughter, who as a baby used to gaze at the picture of the Holy Family above our bed in Hawaii and just coo. No doubt He was talking to you then as He does now. Maye Jesus always be in your heart and on your mind no matter where you go or where you are called. As I came down from your room that night I couldn't help but let my eyes fill. I hugged Daddy and cried, happy tears. How blessed I feel to know that the first place you would want to go is to heaven. There, I know, all is well. A few days later when we were saying morning prayers you looked up at the crucifix and said, "I'm coming to Heaven, okay, Jesus?"

When peace like a river attendeth my way; When sorrows like sea billows roll, Whatever my lot Thou hast taught me to say, It is well, it is well with my soul. ~ Horatio Spafford