Friday, November 20, 2009

Similarities and Differences

Madge Story: The other night at dinner, Maddy had a little chill and realized that her hairs were standing on end. At the sight of her little peachy strands, she grew quite excited, much to my surprise. She exclaimed: Dad, I have hair on my arms just like you! I congratulated her and provided affirmation for her discovery. I was confused about why she got so excited. It hit me yesterday (when I took her out on a little date) that people, little kids included, are always looking for commonalities or connections with those around them. A tried and true parenting cliche is that the child can do such and such when they get older. I became so accustomed to discussing the differences between adults and children that I forgot to recognize the similarities. Thank God that little kids are able to remember the similarities that bind us together. Thank God for hair on our arms...both on daddies and on little girls.