Thursday, November 19, 2009

What Would I Do If I Were a Widower?

Answer: I don't know. But I'm sure extreme (to the 1000th power) sorrow, depression, and angst would be some initial emotions.

Last night in our Men's-Father's Group at church, Fr. Smith related that he met with a 28-year old man who lost his wife this year. This type of story (and other stories like parents losing their children) tends to resonate quite strongly for me. While cognizant of the fact that God can take any of us at any time, I realize how frequently I take Mary for granted. We have so much together that I have no clue what I would do if she were taken from me.

Mares, you truly are my inspiration and compass! As I rode the bus into work this morning, I played out in my mind the scenario of coming home to an empty house. These imaginary exercises help me appreciate all the more the many gifts that God's given me. You and the girls provide so much meaning, joy, and peace to my life. I thank God for giving me you: to have, to hold, to love, to grow old with, to bring forth and educate little ones, to laugh with, to live with. Until... Oh, that until. Death is a difficult reality when it strikes one's better half. I can't predict when that will happen, or if I'll be around when it does, or how I'll feel. I can say that I will take advantage of my every moment with you. I will thank God for every new day that I have to spend with you. I love you, Mares. I am who I am today thanks to you. I appreciate you.