Thursday, June 10, 2010

Gratitude


What it is? It is what swells in my heart right now. I love so many things in my life, because I am so, so grateful. I am thankful for my husband, my sweet little ones, and the little one that lives beneath my heart this very moment. I am thankful for my family, our families, for all of the moments that make me grow, change, desire to be better for you, Lord, I a grateful. I just got home a little while ago after being with a sweet friend from Morocco that I met here in VA at a nearby park. Our little girls were playing in the sandbox together and we began talking that one, hot summer afternoon. Who knew that we would be at each other's homes, enjoying each other's kids, having our husbands meet? It was a sweet gesture of hers to have us over today, and as she said, "It is a win-win"-- our girls enjoy playing together and we have an enjoyable time just being together. After arriving home with two very sleepy girls after playing in the summer heat, eating a delicious Moroccan meal, and playing store with friends, I put them down for naps. Yes, we sang together as usual, and you, Pita, did your sweet singing mouth and wiggled your head back and forth to hit those notes. I love you. I am grateful for my girls, grateful for the simplest things as putting you to bed and snuggling with you. There can never be enough. Then, I came downstairs and tidied up a little before opening up this, the computer. There, in my e-mail I saw two beautiful notes: one from a very sweet friend and another from you, Caleb. My heart filled with gratitude for what you both expressed. How many things are in our hearts and we sometimes never express them. How important it is to do it, because it takes the focus off ourselves and calls a blessing upon another and also gives glory to God in the sense that it glorifies His handiwork, another person. Thank you for the love of those who surround me, who inspire me, who love me with all of my ways that need improvement. The other day, I was reading in one of my now-favorite books, because I truly admire this soul, Elisabeth Leseur who is up for canonization, The Secret Diary of Elisabeth Leseur. Her writings are also frequently used as meditations in The Magnificat. In there, she writes: "Those whom we encounter in our earthly path often only see in the passing the outer wrappings of our being and go their way, confident of knowing us well enough. Let us be careful not to do the same with the companions of our life. Even in a brief encounter we can touch others' depths, or even more, achieve profound insight into that which is hidden beneath the appearances: a whole person, a whole life, of which others are completely unaware." How true. If we have a heart of gratitude and compassion how many stifling moments of fear, uncertainty, rash judgment, etc. would fall by the way side. For, beneath each one of us, there is much, much to be loved... God. Almost every night at dinner we try to go around the table and ask each other (yes, you, Pita, even ask us --in your own way!) what his/her favorite part of the day was. Madge, you frequently say, "My favorite part of the day is just...lovin' my family. And, my next one is just....lovin' my family." I love you. I am grateful for you all. This song and these pictures put a Smile on my face and make me thankful for you.