Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Just Checking In, Dad

Our Life
One of Maddy's recent milestones came a couple weeks ago when she began to ascend the stairs of our home. At the beginning she would climb up the first stair or two. After a couple days, she was climbing up the first flight of stairs. By now she has mastered the art and climbs up to the second story at least 4 or 5 times a day. (Mary and I use the stairs as a good way to wear her out when she has too much energy. I attribute her fast metabolism and high energy to Mary. I have always been on the lethargic side, for better or worse.) Normally one of us has to "spot" Maddy as she makes her way to the top. When she finally reaches the second floor, she turns the corner and waits. A million small objects surround her when she enters the vestibule upstairs. She has four different rooms to choose from. Oh, joy. Books await her nimble fingers. She is just itching to climb up chairs, tables and beds. The storage closet has lots of nicknacks that attract her eye. Despite the paths she can choose from, she never fails to look behind her first to ensure that Mary or I watch and approve her next move. Isn't that like a child? Yet, it taught me something too. This was Maddy's little way of checking in. Were words to reflect her actions, they might sound something like the following. "Dad, do you see me? It's just me, your daughter checking in here. Am I okay? Did you see me just climb the stairs? Good: there you are. You do see me now. I am going into one of the bedrooms. Do you approve of my next move?" Her actions made me ask myself how frequently I check in with God, my father, throughout the day. I need to check in with God to ensure he is watching me, that he is aware of my accomplishments, that he approves of my next move. Thanks, Maddy, for my little lesson of love. I hope to learn from her and check in with God more today.

Current Affairs Commentary
With Mother's Day on the horizon, there have been quite a few recent media jabs at mothers who have exercised their human, feminine and maternal rights in choosing to stay home and raise their children (NY Times). Others have put an emphasis on the potentially selfish side of mothers on their special day (Foxnews), not that there is anything wrong with taking the day easy. However, the media chose to slam this important holiday and capitalism at the same time (CNN). A double whammy from the liberal left. It's understandable why such motherhood and capitalism undermine a leftist mentality. It may be the true that the woman who envisioned and lobbied for Mother's Day became upset with the holiday's commercialization. Commercialization can be demeaning and pervert a holiday. Commercialization also does wonders for the economy. Besides, what holiday isn't commercialized? It's inevitable. Hopefully, we can all balance the "caring and capitalism." I believe that the trivialization of holidays ought to be attributed to cultural perversion and not to capitalism itself. A market merely reflects the tastes and preferences of the public--the demand. Our preferences have driven this hulabaloo. I hope that I can make this Mother's Day a special one for Mary and truly honor her for mothering Maddy every minute of every day.

Quick Thoughts onToday's Gospel
Readings Today
-- I am the vine, you are the branches
We are all a part of something larger than ourselves and the small space that we inhabit. When we plug into Christ, our lives are interconnected through him, the vine. A branch apart the vine has no meaning, no life, no future or growth. The true context of our lives is in Christ and in his Church. His life blood is running through our spiritual veins from the Eucharist, just as energy flows from the vine to the branches. The life we receive through the vine must bear fruit. There is no other option possible. All branches grow when they are attached to the vine. Finally, as a corollary, how can we perceive ourselves to be connected to the vine if we are not growing and bearing fruit in our spiritual lives, among friends and family?