Friday, May 11, 2007

With Summer On Your Horizon

I have to stop and remind myself what the "typical" weather seasons would be like for the mainland U.S. with almost everyday here in Hawaii being sunny, blue skies, 80-degree weather. (Occasionally, it gets "cold"--in the low 70s). After living in Hawaii for almost 2 years--8 seasons of summer weather-- we have purchased various bottles of sunblock, baby and adult. Until recently, I frequently contributed to Banana Boat. Not too long ago I was introduced to virgin coconut oil's use as a sunblock and I bought a 500ml. Fijian bottle of coconut oil 2 weeks ago. I have been wearing it whenever we go out, and I put a bit on Maddy's tan little legs and arms too. After 2 weeks' use, I have hardly made a dent in the bottle, and the sun has not burnt me. I was floored, because had I been using regular sunblock, I would have been one-third of the way through by now, and I would have to reapply, since it is so easily absorbed (made with more water and is absorbed quickly into the skin, leaving it dry and sometimes-leathery). Coconut oil does just the opposite: it protects the skin and simultaneoulsy moisturizes it.

"The ideal lotion is one that is made from oil that softens the skin, but also protects it against damage, promoting healing and giving the skin a more youthful, healthy appearance. Coconut oil fits that description. Pure virgin coconut oil is the best natural ingredient for skin lotion available. It prevents destructive free-radical formation and provides protection against them. It helps to keep connective tissues strong and supple so that the skin doesn't sag and wrinkle. In some cases it may even restore damaged or diseased skin. Virgin Coconut Oil can help keep the skin from developing liver spots, and other blemishes caused by aging and over exposure to sunlight. The oil is absorbed into the skin and into the cell structure of the connective tissues, limiting the damage excessive sun exposure can cause. While it is not a natural sunblock, Coconut Oil IS the perfect, natural treatment for relieving sunburn and is itself, a natural exfoliant." (http://www.volcanicearth.com/coconutoil.html)